Thursday, August 10, 2017

Day 40 Havelock North to Te Aute 11 August 2017

Walked by Mike 913.7km walked by Idol 587.4km walked by Toby 346.4km. Funds raised $9443

Slept really well last night after another lovely meal - I am getting spoiled this trip - I may never want to go home.  I took the dogs for any early morning walk meaning to go to a nearby park but both dogs did their stuff before I got there which I was delighted with as it shortened my pre-dawn walk.

It was another beautiful sunny day in Hawkes Bay and very quickly got rid of my jersey.

The morning started with banking the bucket at Havelock North.

I walked both dogs for the first 3km.  They were diabolical wanting to sniff and leave scent on everything. It was a relief to get rid of Idol so that I no longer had both dogs trying to mark over one another.  Toby was quite happy walking on Te Aute Rd but  I put him away at Pakipaki because I thought he would be nervous with the traffic on State Highway 2.

The first 7km of SH2 are a bit narrow and with the heavy traffic not that enjoyable.  Alice from Hawkes Bay Today did a phone interview as I was walking along Te Aute Rd and just as I was approaching the 900km mark (3/4 of the walk completed) at Pekapeka Reserve the photographer turned up - to be photographed this time.  However the best part was the photographer brought a coffee with him!!!!.
Shortly after this I had 2 occasions where my safety bubble got burst.  I was walking alongside an armco barrier.  As each vehicle approached I moved closer to the barrier if needed - judging by where it was in the lane and the size of the vehicle.  A large SUV approached driving nicely centred in the lane.  I remained just outside the white line as that would give a space of about 1.5m between us.  Just before reaching me - and too late for me to react the SUV moved left - I presume because there was now oncoming traffic.  There would have been less than half a metre between me and the wing mirror as it passed. If you can't handle a vehicle that size safely why buy one?

The second incident was when I stuttered when calling Idol and he thought it was a cross command.  he reacted very quickly to my no and the approaching vehicle didn't have to take avoiding action but it still shook me  a little.

At the rest area on the right side of the road there were a couple of bull dogs that seemed to want to follow me and Idol and were totally ignoring the owner.  Toby was very reluctant to take over walking but was lured out of his crate with treats - the first time he got back in the crate before I could get him on lead.  The second time John shut the crate and he was out of options.   I only walked him for 3km and fortunately all the big trucks came where there was plenty of shoulder.

Idol was walking with me again as we went through Te Hauke. With kilometres of empty road he chose the verge by the Urupa to go toilet so I had to carry a bag for a few kilometres.  The war memorial at Te Hauke has the names of 4 people who died in "The war to end all wars".  I don't want to dishonour them - they went to war believing they were fighting for a better future. Instability  following the collapse of the Ottoman Empire was one of the causes of that war and the instability still continues in Syria and Iraq.
As every day do far I was between 30 minutes and an hour behind schedule arriving at Te Aute.  I fell asleep on the couch on returning to Lynne and John Lanes house.  On waking up John and I took Idol, Toby and Xena to the park for a romp.  Idol and Xena worked out where the treats were and worked both John and I to get them.  Toby of course was concentrating on all the smells.


No comments:

Post a Comment