Friday, August 11, 2017

Day 41 Te Aute to Waipukurau 12 August 2017

Walked by Mike 938.3km walked by Idol 602.8km walked by Toby 362.4km - no change to funds raised ($9443) but about $100 in the bucket.

First surprise of the day was a sign at Pakipaki saying strong winds and it was strong. Blue sky but the wind meant I kept my jersey on until trading it for a parka at Waipawa.

Toby started the walking with crossing the Okauhupupuni Stream just south of Te Aute Hotel with John driving behind. Once across the bridge I found myself with an uphill climb into a head wind.  I lost a couple of minutes going up the hill but made them up plus some more and was a head of schedule all the way to Waipawa.  Toby walked as far as the Otane Pony Club and with few trucks on the road was not phased by the traffic.

Idol walked from there through to Waipawa with both dogs walking with me through Waipawa.  Katrina Alexander and Poppy joined me at the end of her road, which I am informed is Argyll and walked with me to Waipawa. It was great to have company and a fresh pair of legs to help keep me going.

I was just about to start walking at Waipawa after having lunch when the skies opened. It was heavy but short lived and by the time I had my parka on it had become very light and ceased after half an hour and didn't start again till I was in Waipukurau.

Toby walked from the start of Waipawa through to the finish.  For the first time since the restart Toby walked further than Idol.  He needs to get his act together before Saturday as Idol is doing agility that day and Toby will have to walk all 24.7km.  The cycleway at the railway bridge ran alongside a paddock full of this seasons calves.  I had let Toby off the lead when going onto the cycleway but got him back on the lead before reaching the calves.   Unlike heifers they didn't come running up to the fence - the few that weren't asleep just watched without moving.

Idol joined us from the bridge for the walk into Waipukurau where Lyn had met us to take John home.  Having been 20minutes late at Waipawa River bridge I was delighed to be only 5 minutes late on arrival.  Thank you very much Lyn and John for your help this week. This is John's photo of me arriving with Toby and Idol.
I had intended to collect outside supermarkets but I got moved on.  I don't mind them doing that it is their business and their right but what infuriated me was them saying it was council policy and i couldn't collect without a letter from council.  Please own your own decisions and don't blame it on someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment