Monday, August 1, 2016

Day 29 Gisborne to Muriwai

Distance walked by Mike 673.4 km  walked by Idol 435.9 walked by Toby 312.8

Amazing generosity by Gisborne.  $1000 donated.  The total this afternoon was $958.10 but Amerillis put the hard word on the business Bankers and made it up to the even $1000.

The day started out with a short talk to Gisborne branch staff and the obligatory photo.  Toby again made up to the female staff.


Amerillis was my support person today.  She was planning to walk with me as far as Chalmers Rd with Cohen but Cohen has sore paws after walking along the boardwalk yesterday - Idol sends his condolences.  Amerillis walked with me as far as Makaraka with Liz acting as driver. Beatrice and Dorne went home and got dogs and joined us at Lytton Rd and walked nearly to the junction of SH2 and SH35. 

Initally donations were slow.  When we arrived at TopKids day care Kirsten Ingoe had all the children out waiting for us. They had taken up a collection of a very impressive $65.  The children got to pat Toby and Idol and then given them a treat.  I saw at least one possum treat going into a childs mouth - fear not there is nothing in them that will harm children - just meat and grain.

After that Amerillis took us into a number of her customers and we got some good donations. Three or four cars also stopped and gave money.  At Easts Saddlery Idol and Toby also got given chews.

From Makaraka Toby then Idol took turns walking.  There were no puddles today so the dogs only got water when in the car.  The exception was at the Jolly Stockman Hotel where one of the staff took water out to Toby.  By this stage I was 40 minutes behind schedule but perfectly happy as the bucket was heavy.

Idol was walking as we went past the garage at Manutuke and chased the cat - but stopped when I yelled at him.  In spite of that I still got a donation. There is a footbridge over the Te Arai River at Manutuke which saved using the rather busy road bridge with limited visibility.

Approaching Matawai the road is in close to the hill which was blocking the wind and it was very warm.

All but one of the bridges today was straight forward with good visibility and not very long.  As the traffic got lighter as moving out of town I could easily wait for a gap in the traffic to cross the bridge.  The rail bridge at Wairakaia has a bend and a hump making for very limited visibility so Amerillis drove over behind me.  Only one vehicle came and once over the hump was able to go past.

The three small blisters are persisting.  They aren't getting any bigger and aren't causing any pain while walking.  I haven't taken paracetamol since week 2 but I did take ibuprofen after the end of the day once when the knees were playing up.

Sunday started out with an early walk for Idol and Toby before going back to bed to read.  I went to Holy Trinity and got a very good welcome and quite a bit of money was put in the bucket by the congregation.  Brian's resignation as vicar was raised by a few people and I hope my answers gave no more information than Brian shared with the parish.  After lunch at an Indain restaurant Pankaj and I went out to the boardwalk to collect donations.  It was a cold and windy day so very few people there so not much in the way of donations but Idol and Toby appreciated the walk - and Pankaj and I enjoyed icecreams at Captain Morgans.  Then after dinner I had to walk the dogs a third time as they were still buzzing.  The dogs also got a walk in the botanic gardens this morning rather than just a quick toilet break.

I am being spoilt by Glenda's cooking again tonight - corned beef.  Tomorrow I leave Gisborne.  Derek has most of the accommodation organised as far as Waipukurau - his enthusiasm for helping me has been fantastic.

I haven't talked about God much in the last few days.  I am not feeling close to God at the moment.  I know that miracles are happening all around me - the rain going other places rather where I am, people making huge efforts to support me and all the donations being received- but still I can't seem to find God at the moment.

To make a donation go to https://doyourthing-wellington.everydayhero.com/nz/mikes-hike




walking over Whareratas and staying at Mahia

2 comments:

  1. $1,000:00 from Gisborne !!!! Go Gizzie....... and a challange to Hawkes Bay with its greater population and greater wealth, should be able to do at least that much again. Derek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's ok. god is busy doing other stuff. She'll be back when you need her.

    ReplyDelete