Sunday, July 3, 2016

One more sleep to go

Newmarket Auckland, 10:15pm 3 July 2016

Chris and I have arrived.  The trip up  from Wellington was easy driving - especially with 2 drivers to spread the load.  Took us 9 hours including 2 walks for the dog and a stop for kebabs for us.

I enjoyed the jazz service this morning but it didn't have the feeling of joy I am sure it would have with Brian Dawson leading it.  Brian has had to take 3 weeks leave and in spite of the best efforts of everyone to cover Brian is a big person in spirit as well as stature and there are ragged edges on the patch put over the whole left.  Lisa and the band did a wonderful job getting people to join in with the signing and lots of clapping going on.


I have a Toyota Estima from Ace Rental Cars at a discounted rate.  It has some funny habits that perplex me. Sometimes it won't lock.  Sometimes the rear passenger side door which is powered doesn't want to close.  It has a foot operated park brake that I can never find to release - and it is so tricky to operate I would hate to have to use it as an emergency brake.  Quite noticeable is that it has way more power than my 14 year old Mazda 626.

I have been thinking about Rapid the last few days.  I guess it was inevitable that my mind should wander back to the last walk and the dogs who shared it with - both of whom have passed on.  Ella lived her full life expectancy and had a good life.  If Rapid had not died he would now be the same age Ella was for the South Island Walk and could have done a few kilometres each day like Ella did.

Chris and I walked Toby and Idol down to the supermarket - just under 1km each way.  His limp becomes quite pronounced as he gets tired so I really will have to restrict his walking.

On the good news front thank you to Patrick Harrison who has agreed to step in as support person after Karen had to withdraw.

God I ask for you  to be with me on this walk, may  I find your voice speaking to me, may I find ways to serve, and to show truly my thanks for all who will help me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment