Monday, July 4, 2016

Day 1 Auckland Central to Meadowlands

The day started with a quick walk for the dogs to go toilet.  Then while doing breakfast - toast and jam nothing special - Chris taped my feet.  Off good an early to ANZ Albert St as we didn't know how bad the traffic would be.   The phone said right into Wyndham, left into Albert, left into Swanson, right into Federal.  No issues at all till we got to Albert St then
  1. The traffic is gridlock
  2. Swanson St is closed off for construction of a new building.
It was just as well we were early ass it took ages to do the spiral, right down Albert St, Custom St, Hobson St, Swanson St from the other end and finally Federal St.

Megan, Marise, Criag and a few others saw us off. We had muffins but no coffee as the machine wouldn't work. Toby was made to wear his muzzle every time he was out of the car today and each time nothing bad happens he is better about having it on next time. And of course Toby was smooching with all the women.

Had a bit of fun getting into 205 Queen St.   Nobody answered the door bell at the side door and security guards were topping up the ATM's at the front door.    Got brave and asked the security guards to let me through.  Left 205 Queen St on time for the first official leg of the walk - 2 minutes and 110m to 268 Queen St.  It made be the slowest 100m on record but that was the time Google recommended and with waiting for the lights it took that long.  No customers in 268 Queen St either so again I got to chat with the staff for 10 minutes before heading up Wellesley St to Auckland University - that I left without a degree in 1972. This time one customer - a music student, who had plenty of time to chat along with all the staff at the branch - 5 ANZ staff to look after 1 customer.  I hope he felt special..

Met Chris at the bottom of Parnell Rise and handed Toby over to go back in the car. I was somehow  a minute late so had to push harder up Parnell Rise to arrive at Parnell branch for a very warm welcome from the team.  Ben walked with me as far as the cathedral.

By that stage it was definitely getting warm.  The sun had been shining ever since I got out of the Waihorotiu Stream valley (the stream that used to run where Queen St is and made the valley).  So the jersey had to come off at Newmarket.  By now the branches were getting busy but I still managed to say hello to all the staff.  Once clear of the Newmarket shops I let Idol off the lead (no idea what Auckland dog bylaws are) and he stayed off the lead except through shopping centres for the rest of the day.

Somehow I managed to get to Remuera early - it was the first decent length walk of the day and the gradient was easy even though the highest point for the day (102.1m at Mt Hobson Reserve) was on that section.  Time for a snack - and then a nice long chat with the branch manager.  The other staff were busy with customers and I only got a brief chance to say hello.  Heading along St Vincent Rd there were a lot of school boys running and Idol got rather excited but did remember the keep off the road rule- even though I could tell he wanted to go across to the other side of the road and join them.

Toby got out of the car at Greenlane branch and did his usual smooching with the female staff.  Toby walked with me through Ellerslie shops and as far as  McDonald Cres -  a total of 2.4km.  This included  a park where I was able to let him off lead for 200m which he greatly enjoyed.

Panmure branch was reached a minute ahead of schedule.  They were very busy but I did manage to talk to a couple of staff before heading for Pakuranga - again a busy branch but with a nice comfy couch.  Just as I was about to leave staff were suddenly free to talk to me which was great.  Chris had water out for Idol but he declined it and drank from a puddle about 500m later instead.

Chris and I had mis-communication.  I saw him waiting for me at Palmers Garden Centre and sent a text saying I didn't need anything as the same time he sent a txt saying where he was.  Niether of us noticed the txt coming in as we were sending.  The result was when I got to Howick Branch Chris was still waiting 3km away. Mel had said she would walk with me to Meadowlands but alas 2 staff were off and she was too short staffed to be able to leave the branch.

With the misunderstanding I was 5 minutes late leaving for Meadowlands - with Toby for the last 2.km.  I was also a little slower than normal and finished up 7 minutes late arriving at Meadowlands where Toby and Idol just flopped.  The branch staff were frantic dealing with customers right up to closing but we did get to have chat after closing.



I then took Chris on a tour of Howick looking at the house in Minerva Tce Alison and I grew up in, his grandfathers and great-grandparents graves in the cemetary and the schools Alison and I went to.
I missed showing him LaRoche's bush so hopefully that can be done tomorrow before walking starts

No comments:

Post a Comment