Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Day 2 - Meadowlands to Papakura

Distance Walked by Mike & Idol 50.7km Toby walked 13.1km

I think the best thing I did today was talking to a lonely old woman while eating lunch.  She was very much concerned that she wouldn't be able to afford to keep her cats much longer - what a dreadful prospect. 

The day nearly started with a nasty accident.  I took Chris to see La Roche's Bush.  The climb down from the road is really steep and ai slipped and feel - only my pride was injured.  But I did need to visit a service station and wash to mud off my knees before starting walk.

The day started and finished sunny.  There was one heavy shower that forced me to put a parka on just as leaving Hunter's Corner branch. The other sad thing is that the windscreen has cracked and I elected not to pay for excess waiver - and the company includes windscreen in the damage the hirer is liable for along with tyre damage.

I got to the two branches at Botany Downs shortly aftr 9am and was able to say hello to most of the staff as they weren't busy. Halfway to Hunter's Corner I had the first unscheduled stop to look at the blister and decide there was little that could be done.  It is under the strapping tape which is frustrating as the tape is there to take the rubbing and save me from blisters.


Hunters Corner was frantic and I only got to talk briefly to one person.  Conversely Papatoetoe was really quite - possibly because of the road works in front of the branch and had a good chat with the staff. 

Manukau branch were also very welcoming.  I got Toby out of the car there and once again he cuddled up to the women.  It was then abrief walk to Manukau City Centre - Chris meanwhile misread the instructions and went straight to Manurewa.  I had scheduled a 30 minte lunch break bt by the time Chris got Subway and got lost looking for ANZ I had to eat quickly to be on the road again. Manukau City Centre was unbelievably busy and I only got to talk to one person.

Off then to Manurewa.  This area is still not fully built up and lots of rubbish on the road. Idol was having a great time eating it.  We had a serious row when he found a plastic bag full of I am not sure what.  I was getting close to the next intersection so I insisted he stopped his attempts to rip the bag open and came.  The moment I turned my back he turned around as well and went back to the rubbish.  Harsh words were exchanged.

Manurewa branch was busy but not flat out and I got to talk to all the staff before heading for Takanini.  There are quite a few busy roads to cross on this stretch but we were lucky with thetiming and didn't have to wait to cross any roads.  A change from through Otara and Papatoetoe when I seemed to have to wait full cycle for every set of lights.

Takanini was having just the occasional customer and I had a good long chat with Annette and her staff.  Toby came in to join us before setting off for the last leg to Papakura.  I kept Idol on the lead and he took a while to stop pulling hard.  We finished the day 3 minutes behind schedule as Toby was wanting to sniff all the smells and I thought he deserved it.  I seemedto keep losing time and then having to put on a spurt to get back on schedule.

Papakura was frantic when I arrived.  I new I should have been talking to customers and getting donations but I was tired.  Shortly before closing Jennifer came out to talk to me and encouraged a few customers to make a donation.  Toby was a naughty and tried to put his nose up her skirt.

Louise and Jenna prepared a wonderful meal so I am feeling replete.

No comments:

Post a Comment