Monday, December 10, 2018

Day 8 Kanhe to Dehu Road - and Daryl joins the team

Distance walked 163.3km (115 by Mike)
Funds raised NZD4229.22 INR211461

Sunday afternoon as I was working on the blog Pankaj says lets go and see if we can find some silk for Fiona. The shop we went to did not have any but then started a series of visits to Pankaj's friends. I went through the greeting process twice.



Fortunately the friends we went to for dinner understood that only a light meal was required.  I cannot remember the names abut a delightful Tamil copule he is from Pune, but from a family from Andhra Pradesh and she is from Chennai.  I got Dosa (pancakes)!!!!.  My first day in India I got dosa for breakfast and I have loved them ever since.

Monday got off to a late start because the children had to be ready early for the school bus at 7.30 and we had to wait to use the bathroom till they were ready.  I had a substantial breakfast so I was all ready for a good walk.  We went to Daryl's hotel in Nigdi to make sure he was ok and then off to Kanhe.  

Driving out to Kanhe it seemed it seemed to be a very long way but all my checking confirmed 23km.  It may have been a difference in the end point between where I measured to and where Pankja expect to go but as we finished up going a different way the question remains unanswered.

It was 10.30 by the time we got to Kanhe.  Although it was 28degrees and heading for 30 thre was a slight breeze and walking felt good.  Pankaj and I walked together for the first 2 hours covering 9.5km to Somatane with just one short stop for a drink.   Sachin was again our support person and had got lunch from a restaurant in Vadgaon and brought it along in the car.
I took a break while Pankaj covered the 3km to the toll plaza.  It was now hot but with frequent drinking I was feeling good.  The walk through Dehu Road township was challenging - first having to cross the bypass and then dealing with narrow roads and heavy traffic as an overbridge is being built over the main commercial area and while construction takes place the road is very narrow.

When we got to Dehu-Chincholi Rd we did a left turn which will reduce the distance to Capgemini at Talewade.  Sachin was sent off to get ice cream and after eating those we did about another 1.5km before calling it a day.

It was then back to the hotel to get Daryl and then off to see Amoa Bonthve the brother of Panlaj's friend Sanket who is in Delhi. Daryl got to go through the greeting for the first time and did a creditable job. 


After snacks we then went to a neighbours for coffee and a loom at the garden before returning the hotel where Daryl was staying for a meal at Sankeet Barbecue Restaurant.

After a large meal (again) we went to Sami's house where I got a very comfortable bed. Daryl wisely chose not to sleep in the same room as me as I think the snoring would have kept him awake all night.   The downside is that somewhere during the afternon and evening I have dropped the cabe for my phone and will have to buy another.

Donations can be made at https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/school-of-walk in New Zealand or  https://milaap.org/fundraisers/givealittle-schoolofwalk in India

No comments:

Post a Comment