Sunday, December 9, 2018

Day 6 Khandala to Kanhne

Distance walked 135km by Pankaj 96km by Mike
Funds raised NZD4082 INR204111

Today almost all the walking was done by Pankaj with me joining him for 3 short spells adding up to 2km.  Sachin met us in the morning and took us the start point for Pankaj to walk before we adjourned to a dhaba where Sachin who had been on the road since 6:30 had breakfast while I had a soft drink (a locally produced mango flavoured one). 

Next was the short drive to Lonavala where we brought chikki (nut brittle to New Zealanders).
Having
remarked earlier about the biggest change since my first trip to India a decade ago was the disappearance of ox carts we cam across 2 near Lonavala.  I had thought it would be cooler after Khandala as we were higher but that was not the case but as I wasn't walking I could hide in the shade.  At the next 2 rest breaks I walked back and met Pankaj (only a few hundred metres). After the noon rest we went to Kanhe and found a bar where I ate naan and drank beer.  I joined Pankaj for the last 500 metres of the walk into Kanhe.

Sachin drove us to his house in Pune where his wife had prepared a splendid meal including a very nice desert made from carrots and nuts.  I know the rest of the meal was good but with a feast every meal my memory forgets what was when.

After dinner Sachin took us to Santosh's place in another part of Pune where we were welcomed with full ceremony.

Fortunately on the way we came across a pharmacy which was just about to close and brought some ibuprofen.

Being a very late night I didn't set an alarm for Sunday morning. The swelling in my ankle had diminished greatly overnight.

After breakfast made from sago and peanuts Santosh,his son and Santosh took me to Dagdu Sheeh a  famous temple to Ganesh in Pune.


This was followed by a trip to Kaku a sweet shop where we tried jalebi Which is made from lentil flour fried in a  closed spiral and then dipped in sugar syrup. We also had kajil made from cashew and pistachio. Up till now kaju  kajil had been my favorite Indian sweet but this has now changed.

Lunch had goat and chicken. If the meals are like this all the way to Pune I will gain and not lose weight.

Posted at 10.30pm on Sunday 9 December 2018

1 comment:

  1. What an experience you're having Mike: stay strong.
    We are all sending you positive thoughts and much love.
    Oh and I caught up with Idol and Toby yesterday (at the Upper Hutt NZARO event): they're looking fabulous, and seem very happy. Zoom is definitely Toby's metier. There's a few pic's on the CADTS FB page.

    ReplyDelete