Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Day 9 Dehu Rd to Chakan

Distance walked 184.3km by Pankaj  136km by Mike 18km by Daryl
Funds raised NZD4229.22 or INR211461  (plus about INR5000 to be banked)

I should have mentioned yesterday that the Dehu-Chincholi Rd  runs through a large army base so no photos were possible at yesterday's finish or today's start.  

We stayed in Sammi's house last night. He is our support person today as well as our host again tonight. Because of some traffic issues in Pune it was 9:15am before we started walking.  I set a fairly brisk pace as we had 6.5km to cover in 75 minutes to get to Capgemini.  I was very pleased when we arrived on the dot.

Capgemini Talawade were very supportive and have several suggestions on ways they could help including booths in the cafeterias to inform staff and collect donations.  They are also willing to look at long term support in helping collect used goods that would be needed in Wada.

As well as a few Capgemini staff Sonali Kulkarni and 3 others from Being Genesis joined us for the walk for a few kilometers. The walk to Chakan took us through an area with very large factories including Mahindra, Volkswagen, Mercedes Benz care plants and Lucas-TVS electric components.  

We were getting hungry after the Mahindra plant we were feeling hungry but diddn't want to stop so brought some oranges from a street vendor.  There were very sweet and juicy and hit the spot nicely.   Near the Volkswagen plant we stopped at hotel.  Daryl, Sachin (our support person for the day) and I had  beer Kingfisher this time, I got heaps for having Budweiser last week even though it was Indian brewed Budweiser) and chicken kebabs for lunch.  Pankaj had something that look a bit like meatballs but was made from vegetables.

Google told me it was only 6km from here to Chakan but the place Pankaj had in mind for a stop was a few kilomteres further on so the final dash I thought would take 1.5 hours took just a little over 2 hours.   I was really feeling the heat the last half hour and my right leg (the one Ibroke) ws getting a bit sore.  It is inflamed again so I mostly have it elevated. The trouble is I can't reach my beer with the leg up.  This is London Pilsner and the bottle is labelledfor sale in Maharstra State only so I presume it is not available in the rest of India.   

Donations can be made at https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/school-of-walk in New Zealand or direct to 06-0574-0833554-00 or  https://milaap.org/fundraisers/givealittle-schoolofwalk in India

No comments:

Post a Comment