Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Day 52 Te Horo to Mackays Crossing 23 Aug 2017

Walked by Mike 1146.8 walked by Idol 694km walked by Toby 499.4km funds raised $11,660

I am both getting elated at the end being close and getting tired.  While my fitness is building and I am not struggling at the end of the day I still find myself weary and wanting to sleep. The dogs are the same.  Toby is curled up in a little ball along side me and I haven' seen Idol for 2 hours so I am sure he is asleep as well.

Idol's sore foot is still troubling him. Tomorrow is a day with lots of areas where the dogs can run free but I think Idol will need to be restricted.  I have 3 blisters that are causing no trouble (fingers crossed).  The toe has reacted well to antibiotics.  The red area is now restricted to just around the nai bed and there is no pain at any time.

Today was one of the more pleasant days of the trip for two reasons.  First the weather was delightful - sunny and very little wind.  Second was that I never walked alone all day.

Ra from Shift ops arrived wile I was getting a coffee at Te Horo.  By the time I had bandaged Idol's feet Stephanie manager at Waikanae and Otaki arrived.  We set off a few minutes early and Dave who walked with me yesterday came running up.  Stephanie walked nearly 4km before getting into her car to get to Waikanae.  Ra walked with me  to Waikanae and Dave was a real star walking all the to Paraparumu.

Toby did the majority of the walking today - from Te Horo to Waikanae and from Paraparaumu through to Mackays Crossing while Idol walked from Waikanae to Paraparaumu and  the last few kilometres through Queen Elizabeth Park.

Waikanae had scones for morning tea. Wearing hi-vis vests are Lesley, me, Michael, Ra and Dave. Toby as usual is bum to the camera.

 Dave was planning to take the bus back to Otaki but there are no stops signposted between Waikanae and Paraparaumu and the bus didn't stop when we flagged it down.  Lesley took Dave back to Waikanae and I hope someone took him back to Te Horo so he could collect hs daughter from school.

Tranzit if you are reading this please take note.  Where the passing lanes have been removed north of Pekapeka and years ago between Waikanae and Te Horo the removed lane has become a very wide centre strip but in places the shoulder is very narrow making it difficult for walking or cycling.

At Paraparaumu there was a lovely muffin waiting for me. Chelsea from Dominion Post turned up while I was having lunch.  She couldn't get a photographer so I hope her photos taken on the phone are up to print quality for Friday.  Toby is facing front because he hs pats from the Kapiti organiser of daffodil day for Cancer Society.


From Paraparaumu I had 5 staff walking with me - and alas 3 of the names have escaped me.  I should have got them written down.  Three of the service consultants walked with me as far as Poplar Ave but Paul and Kim walked with me all the way to Mackays Crossing.

Today was a day for getting lost.  I couldn't find my way to Rhine St this morning and this afternoon Michael found out that Whareroa Rd in Raumati South as well as one at Mackays Crossing and so was at the wrong place but discvered just in time and was on his way to the correct one when I arrived and rang because he wasn't there.

1 comment: