Thursday, July 7, 2016

Day 4 - Tuakau to Pukekawa

Distance walked by Mike & Idol 105.9 walked by Toby 26.7km

Not a good day for time keeping today.  I wasn't ready when Bevan came to pick me up and from there things just went downhill from there.  By the time I dealt with 3 deposits left by the dogs I was 25 minutes behind schedule at the edge of Tuakau.  I caught up  a bit of time prior to my first break but took too long and was further behind still.  Then I arrived at Pukekawa School about 11:50 and was persuaded to wait till school closed (a half day because of parent interviews).  From then on I was an hour behind.

Idol was amazing today.  He has decided that keep off the bitumen is an absolute ultimatum and even when it meant climbing around the steep banks of a washout.  At one time Bevan was waiting on the other side of the road.  I released Idol to go to home and ran down the road staying on the shoulder until opposite Bevan and then looked back at me for permission to cross the road.  There was 3km where the road had been resealed a few months ago and the shoulder was thick with chips and Idol was looking uncomfortable.  However by the end of the day his feet seemed to be causing him less grief than this morning so I think they are hardening up.  I don't really want to start using bootees yet - if they get wet they make the foot softer and then you have no choice but to keep on using them.

Crossing the Waikato River Bridge Bevan had a truck behind him in the car.  The ute behind that made a couple of attempts at passing but each time the truck moved out and blocked it.  Got lots of toots from truck drivers today.

Today was Toby's first time of walking where there was no footpath.  He has no road sense whatsoever.  The last 3km of the day along Pukekawa-Churchill Rd which has hardly any traffic he was walking down the strip where the traffic had smoothed the seal and made frequent attempts to investigate things on the far side of the road.  The real plus is that he doesn't pull on the lead but just trots along nicely.

It was really pleasant wandering along through farmland with very little traffic - the most pleasant walking so far.

Where was God for me today:  Telling me to relax, forget about time and just enjoy the walk.  Oh and keeping the rain away.
Where did I need Go to be today:  I think right where he was. 

No comments:

Post a Comment