Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Day 25 - Taffords Hill to Otokorau Station

Distance walked by Mike 581.2km Distance walked by Idol 394.8km distance walked by Toby 263.3km

I woke this morning to a wind that would be considered strong in Wellington.  Toby's bowl got picked up in the wind and he retreated to his crate as frightened as anything and snapped at me when I offered a treat.

Because I feared ot would rain in the afternoon  - it did but not the heavy rain I feared - I persuaded Pankaj to start early.  We were at the top of Tafford's  Hill at 8:10am.  Up there the wind was really fearsome - I could even keep a beanie on and when I put the hood up on my parka the next gust blew it off.  Fortunately apart from one place where it bounced off the hills and become an easterly rather than an norwester it was at my back.  On the part where it was an easterly I struggled to walk into it.

Toby was up to walk first.  Being in a new place he came out of his crate happily but very soon he nad a new problem to add to his worries. Both dogs have been eating grass and when Toby passed a motion it hung dangling by the grass.  When I got a poo bag and went to pull it out he screamed at me and backed away.  After him straining for a couple of minutes I persuaded Toby to walk and as I expected that loosened things and he was able to get rid of it.

The first 3km down to the Motu River bridge is really steep and with lots of sharp corners so Toby and I were zigzagging across the road to keep to the outside of curves.   The Motu River is a single lane bridge.  I love the power trip that comes from walking across in the centre and stopping the traffic. However my suport crew have had other ideas and Cynthia insisted on driving behind me across Mangapori Bridge and Pankaj followed me onto the Motu Bridge.  I sent him on his way as Toby was getting unmanageable worried about the car behind him.  And then I got the thrill of stopping a car coming from Gisborne direction.

Toby walked the first 7km and then I got Idol out with no wrapping on his feet.  He was really happy and ran up and down the verge and played with pine cones.  The cuts on his feet from the first week have now completely healed and are no linger visible.  I will have Toby doing most of the distance and Idol walking short distances in the hope his feet harden up and we can stop using vetwrap which is taking the hairs off his toes no matter what I put under it. I think that is why he limps with it on.

A stop for a hot chocolate at Matawai with the wind now down to normally windy.  This town has a school, a fire station (volunteer), a police station (sole charge), a store and a hotel.  The garage has closed but there is an automated fuel dispenser.



About 5km out of Matawai is the divide between Bay of Plenty and Poverty Bay catchment - notice that this is 148m lower than Tafford's Hill that is between the Waioeka and Motu catchments but both those rivers drain into Bay of Plenty.
From here there is a steep descent to Rakauroa.  I was going to let the dogs run free in the rest area but as I slipped Toby off the lea Pankaj pointed out a hen.  Fortunately he hadn't seen it and came back when called.  From here Idol walked the last 7km to Otokorau Station. There was drenching of cattle taking place in the yards and I had to explain to Pankaj what drenching was.

There was a brief shower in the last hour of walking and it rained again while in the car heading back to Matawai.  I had an afternoon nap - very enjoyable.  It is really cold here tonight.  Dinner was sent over early and I will reheat shortly in the microwave.  Pankaj has vegetarian tonight.

Advertisement section follows

To make a donation go to https://doyourthing-wellington.everydayhero.com/nz/mikes-hike

Thanks to Nutro for feeding Idol and Toby

NUTRO HAS…
Real Meat as 1st & 2nd Ingredient 
Use only non GMO ingredients in ALL formulations
100% Palatability Guarantee
Rice, Chickpeas or Potato carbohydrate source 
      for low GI energy 
Higher Digestibility reducing back end waste
Guarantee to improve skin and coat quality
Natural preservatives; Rosemary extract & vitamin E 




No comments:

Post a Comment