Friday, July 22, 2016

Day 19 - Matata to Whakatane

Distance walked by Mike 461.8km  Walked by Idol 326.1 Walked by Toby 191.7

My snoring last night was evidently of epic scale and Patrick evacuatated the bedroom and slept in an armchair from about 4am.

Mandy spoiled me again today cooking breakfast and giving me soup to take to heat for lunch. Also a bag of Omega Wild NZ Possum Meat pellets in the car for treats for the dogs from tomorrow onwards now the salami is all gone. Also a nice bag of mandarins. 

It was another late start as only 16km to walk.  Toby walked the first 5km which included the two bridges where Patrick had to drive behind me.   Idol walked all the way from there and Toby joined him from the outskirts of Whakatane. 

It was very pleasant weather for walking - overcast and little wind.  Getting close to Whakatane it was almost warm enough to need to remove my jersey  - if I had more than 45 minutes left I wold have taken it off.

The Whakatane papers reran an article from Rotorua - including the times I would be at Rotorua branches - so people in the area knew what I was doing so lots of waves and toots from cars going past.

There were few problems with traffic but a couple of trucks did make Toby jump. The first 2km that Idol walked had a tractor track along the verge and which cut off many of the right hand bends.  Idol was really happy and played chase after a stick for about 1km.

Found this on the side of the road that I thought was a ferret but I have now been educated (thank you Lara) and it is a stoat. This is the way all stoats should be.


Being a leisurely day and ahead of schedule Patrick and I stopped at the Redbarn Cafe for a coffee and a bite to eat. Encouraging words from the staff and some of the guests and a few donations. A little further down the road a large tuck was parked on the verge - which was fairly narrow anyway. two drivers came out as I was waiting for a gap in the traffic and gave substantial donations when I explained what Idol and I were doing.

Lovely welcome at Whakatane branch. The staff were all full of enthusiasm.  Toby once again had staff offering to take him home.



Patrick went out for fish and chips wearing this vest and came back with a piece of fish donated for me. It was then time to head to Kawerau where we arrived 5 minutes before the 2pm closing.   The staff were busy dealing with a last minute rush that took till well after 2pm to get the last customer out the door.  Meanwhile the dogs showed how energetic they were.



Scored a donation of a roll of Vetwrap from vets in Whakatane and then took Patrick around the tricky bits of tomorrows route.  Discovered there is a detour in place that will cost me an extra 500m.

Just had a very pleasant evening with Amy, Colin and Amy's mother.  I was hoping to lose some weight this trip but if every meal is like I have had the last few days I won't lose any.  The dogs are loving it here right on the beach front with the soft sand to run on.

Where was God for me today - Helping me listen patiently to the man in Whakatane suffering from melanoma who needed to talk even though he couldn't afford a donation.

Where did I need Go to be today - helping me relax and enjoy the easy day. Tomorrow will be tough as the weather forecast is bad, there are hills  and I need to go another 4km to Waiotahi to make time for Toby's vet visit on Monday.

To make a donation go to https://doyourthing-wellington.everydayhero.com/nz/mikes-hike

Thanks to Nutro for feeding Idol and Toby
NUTRO HAS…
Real Meat as 1st & 2nd Ingredient 
Use only non GMO ingredients in ALL formulations
100% Palatability Guarantee
Rice, Chickpeas or Potato carbohydrate source 
      for low GI energy 
Higher Digestibility reducing back end waste
Guarantee to improve skin and coat quality
Natural preservatives; Rosemary extract & vitamin E 
 
(yes that is an advertisement) 

No comments:

Post a Comment