Sunday, January 3, 2016

2016's great walk coming up

Back in October I started planning an overseas trip.  But the more I struggled with Toby, and remembered how much trouble he was when I returned from Europe I decided I needed a holiday plan that included the dogs.   Starting on 4 July Idol, Toby and I will do another walk for Cancer Society starting from central Auckland.  We will walk on average 25km a day - less than the 42km a day I attempted around the South Island that was really tough.  The route will run via Hamilton, Rotorua, Tauranga, Whakatane, Gisborne, Napier and Palmerston North arriving in Wellington on Daffodil Day 26th August.

Idol, Toby and I have started training.  For me it is a question of getting fit as I have been somewhat of a vegetable lately. For Toby and Idol it is a question of conditioning their feet. Toby's feet look like they will be no problem which is just as well as he would never let me put boots on him.  I think Idol may be wearing boots most of the way. Idol is very road smart around the city and I expect that after a few days on the rral roads he will adapt as Rapid did and walk along the edge quite happily.  Toby has a strong prey drive and once he has a scent losses all sense and doesn't listen to me.  For his own safety he is going to have to stay on lead all the way.

I will not be looking for cash sponsors until May or June but there are some things I need now.
  • People willing to be support crew for a week (or even more).  This means buying food, making regular contact to make sure the dogs and I are OK. If the going gets tough you may also have to be a bit of a motivator. In between you can walk with me for a bit or sit in the van and read a book.  You can do this on your own or with a partner..
  • Accommodation for myself and the support crew. The dogs will sleep in the van unless you are willing to have dogs on the beds - at home they share a bed with me.  A lot of the route is through fairly remote areas so if you know someone who lives in these places please ask if they have a spare bed.
  • If anyone has a van they don't need in July and August or has good contacts with a rental company I would love to here from you.
You can see where I will be each day and if I still need accommodation or support people on the assistance required page.

No comments:

Post a Comment