Thursday, November 29, 2018

First preparation day

The morning was spent sorting out suitcases into what was needed on the trip and what could stay in Mumbai, getting the new SIMS working in the phones.

When the drove down LBS Marg (Road) to Vikhroli and it quickly became apparent there was a misunderstanding between myself and everyone else on the route to be used from Vikhroli to Airoli.  I had gone for the shortest route which followed the Eastern Expressway but everyone else felt we should take LBS Marg until Bhandup as there were more people that way.  Progress along LBS Marg was very slow as they are building Line 4 of the Mumbai Metro along it.  We eventually got to Airoli where I discovered the landmarks shown on the map are very hard to find when driving.

More excitement followed when I missed the turn off to get under the railway but after about 15 minutes we managed to get back there.

Back to Thane for lunch very lovingly prepared by Madhvi and then a settled down to redraft the plan for the first two days.  Day 3 will need rework as the proposed route is too dangerous. I think I will be spending a lot of evenings redrafting the next days walk as the drive around the route I wanted to start today will not happen.

It was very hot yesterday afternoon  and the same weather is predicted for the next week. Peak temperatures of 33c. 23 at night.

In the evening Sushil and Pankaj took me for a walk to some of the local shops and street vendors. I got to sample cane juice. Sorry but I neglected to take photos of the contraption used to squeeze out the juice which is not as sweet as I expected.

We visited a baker vege seller and a fish vendor. Plastic bags have been banned in India so everything gets wrapped in newspapers and goes into your own cloth bag.

I was in bed really early at 8.30pm and slept well till 4.30 but that was 8 hours sleep so not a problem.

This is the goat tethered in the street. Only there in the evening I think as I didn't see it yesterday morning.


Thane, Mumbai 7.20am 30 November

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful experience: looking forward to following your travels.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete